Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (2010)



Dylan Dog: Dead of Night: (2010)
This movie is about Dylan (Brandon Routh), a retired supernatural private eye, but he get's back into it while investigating the murder of Elizabeth's (Anita Briem) father, which is caused by some supernatural creature. Dylan's bestfriend and go-to-guy is Marcus. (Sam Huntington)
It's based on an Italian horror comic. Where it's set in London, while the movie adaptation is set in New Orleans. I have not read the comic, so I can not compare the two, unfortunatly.
I really liked this movie. Yeah, sure it was kinda comicbook-cheesy in a way, like the acting and just the over all feel of the movie, but that was also the thing that made it what it is. It was funny and interesting.
Marcus was definatly my favorite character, the typical 'sidekick'/comicrelief-guy, but with an interesting storyline. He had some stuff to deal with, which he dealt with in a pretty believable way.
Dylan was quite the broody-superhero-type character. But I liked him, just because he was the hero of the movie, but still was the character with least hope and he was pretty badass and sassy/witty.
But dudes, what about the ladies in this movie? Elizabeth's character was horrible, at first I was sure she was just supposed to be there in the beginning, not having anything to do with the story really, her presence didn't really make sense, I was proven wrong since she had alot to do with the main plot after all. So I suppose that was good of them to 'surprise' you with that. But to get back to my point, she was just bland and you didn't get to know anything about her. But then there was this fight scene in the house, and she seemed to know what the hell she was doing, so that made me happy. (female characters that can take care of themselves, yes, please!) But then a few minutes later she was the damsel in distress saying things like "Dylan, do something!". Lady, he was driving the frickin' car, maybe you could have done something to get the creature off the windshield? However, if I look away from the non-personality and the uncontinuality about the little of her personality we did get to know, she was kinda kickass. And I also hated the part that made her think 'yeah, I'll try to makeout with Dylan every chance possible, especially after he's been talking about his dead ex.' *facepalm* -sigh-. I mean the relationship between Dylan and Marcus would have been more believable as a romance than the 'thing' that happened between Dylan and Elizabeth. But allright, props to Elizabeth to getting to sleep with the very handsome Dylan, can't blame her for that. So good that she knew what she wanted and went for it. But it just felt forced and it did absolutly Nothing to the plot. Marcus reaction to walking in on them, the morning after, could be interpreted like he had more feelings for Dylan than you'd think, non-platonic feelings that is, but that might just be my opinion/wishful thinking.
But back to the horrible representation of women in this movie, the other female character mentioned was Dylans dead ex, and that just pissed me off, everyone kept remembering her but all they remembered her by was her looks. "oh, 'whatever-her-name-was' she was so beautiful". There was absolutly nothing about her personality.
Something I did like was the take on zombies, the community of the undead in the city. It was fun and interesting to get to know about that.
Like I said it was a fun and interesting movie but the feminist in me was upset. But I mean there's alot of movies that are even worse with female representation than this, so considering that, they did quite a good job with Elizabeth, since she actually could kick ass. but nah. But if you take off the feminist goggles while watching this movie, you'll really enjoy it. It was a nice surprise to see both Peter Stormare and Taye Diggs in the movie too! so that's a plus.
Oh, and is it just me, or does Brandon Routh kinda remind you of Ben Barnes? It's probably the chiseled chin and dark eyes, right.? They look like they could be handsome brothers. I would watch that movie, yes! haha.
//Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment