Monday, November 4, 2013

Point Pleasant by Jen Archer Wood


First I'll just copy+paste my review from Goodreads:
'The short version: I loved it! :D
Point Pleasant is about a man, Ben Wisehart, a writer who decides to return home, to visit his father and to get to the bottom of the Mothman myth he grew up with. Ben and his best friend Nicholas Nolan saw the beast when they where just kids, so he knows the story to be true. And now there has been alot of reports of sightings of the Mothman. So Ben tries to figure out how to stop this monster and how to save the town from death and destruction. (And I really liked the twist and personal flavor Jen Archer Wood put on the actual Mothman myth.)
It is a horror story, but it's so much more than that. A story about love, rejection, friendship, family, loss and belonging. The portrayal of the characters are amazing, relateable and with alot of depth.
I really enjoyed how Jen handled the love story of the novel. That the relationship had it's ups and downs, felt very real, and was not used as a price at the end of the book. That the story had a great flow, the horror and the romance was mixed togheter nicely and kept my interest piqued at all times.
I'm also really greatful that Jen chose to write about a bisexual protagonist, there are way too few out there at this point. And also that she didn't make a big deal out of it, treated it just like any other protagonist, no matter what sexual orientation.
I definatly see a bright future for Jen Archer Wood, and I'm looking forward to her coming books! Also, a shout out to Svetlana for the amazing artwork, I'm speechless, the pictures she made for the book really captured the essence of the story.
As soon as I finished the book I immediately wanted to return to the Point Pleasant universe. So, Thank you, Jen for creating this beautiful place for us to visit.
"We're Mighty Pleased to Have You."'


I was one of the lucky ones who had the opportunity to read the book before it was published and I really adored that Jen gave us that chance! It's a great read! And I've finaly ordered a signed copy of the book, so I'll probably do a post when I have the actual book in my hands, too. I also ordered the color companion book, which is full of Svetlana's artwork for the story, so I'm really excited about that as well!
Both Jen and Svetlana are such nice people! and they even did a livestream for us Point Pleasant fans. Even though it was like 3 o'clock in the morning, for me, when it started I sat and listened through it all, it was real fun to hear them answer questions from the readers/fans. Even though they had some technical difficulties. They are both real easy to talk to. I mean I've written quite a few emails to Jen just expressing how much I love the story and the characters and she's answered and told her point of view. Like why she decided to remake Ben's sibling as a sister and how important she is, even though you don't get to meet her in the book until the end of the story. I've told her time and again how happy I am with the female representation, they are all very much human, with depth and interesting personalities. (just like the male characters, all characters are equally thought through and well made.) No damsels in distress here, they react to things as any person would do. And I love the sister, Kate Wisehart, being able to call her brother out on his bullshit, when it's needed. Although he is a great guy. But I mean, even in the nicest people some sexist crap can exist. But he is quick to listen and is definatly one of the least sexist character you'll ever encounter, both in real life and fiction.
So to summarize; read the book, it's awesome!
//Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment